Monday, January 30, 2012

adaptation


No, not Santa. Charles Darwin. Remember him and the whole survival of the fittest thing? It's that concept of either adapting and surviving OR not adjusting and getting kicked out of the gene pool. I feel like I'm that giraffe with the short neck trying to figure out how to thrive in a land of tall trees. What are my options? 1.) grow a longer neck 2.) find a step stool or 3.) settle with a diet composed of small bushes within my reach. I'm working on all three.


So I'm the short Californian giraffe trying to adjust to the east coast climate and lifestyle. Ways I'm trying to "grow a longer neck" to fit in with my Bostonian neighbors include:

  • walking to the grocery store and carrying all my groceries home. I'm pretty sure I have never done this before in my life. Ever.

  • jay-walking. Everyone does it. I still haven't figured out the timing to some of these insane intersections so, rather than die, I usually have to wait for the "walk" sign before crossing. I'm warming up to the idea.  
                                         
  • not seeing any fast food joints anywhere. I have seen one McDonald's since moving here and the nearest Taco Bell is some 30 minutes away. Sad.


  • pretending to be intellectual. Jarom's friends are all smarty pants. I pick up on a few of their references to scientific terms and nod and smile as if I know what's going on. It's been working for me so far. 

My "step stools" right now are the friends I am slowly making in our new congregation at church. What amazing men and women who are positive, uplifting, and committed to living in line with their beliefs. It's a great environment for me to be in.

Other than that, I am embracing the "small bushes" by doing the things I've always loved and am comfortable doing. Keeping up on old friendships and relationships with loved ones. Making our place feel like a home with pictures and places of things I recognize. Wearing my goofy moccasins because I love them...even if they may not be in style here. 

Overall, I love this place. Even if I feel a little "short" and out of place.


1 comment:

  1. what a cute post! I really enjoyed reading this...the analogy etc. you're awesome. Love you.

    ReplyDelete